Archive for February 2019

Justin Bieber knocked to the ground in fight with much larger opponent

Defiant: Justin Bieber shared this pictured (that he has since deleted) on Instagram after the fight in Cleveland on Wednesday to show he was unscathed. Photo: Justin Bieber/InstagramJustin Bieber won’t meet paying fans as they make him ‘depressed’Justin Bieber says he feels ‘like a zoo animal’, will no longer take photos with fans
Nanjing Night Net

He promised to turn over a new leaf and put his bad boy antics behind him, but Justin Bieber is up to his old, hot-headed tricks again.

The 22-year-old didn’t look so Sorry when he fronted up to a much larger opponent outside his Cleveland hotel at around 11pm on Wednesday night.

A 10 second Snapchat clip obtained by TMZ shows the Canadian crooner getting a smack on the side of the head from a man that stood a head taller than him.

Bieber retaliated with a punch to the man’s face, but was no match for his competitor and was twirled around and knocked straight to the ground.

The bleached blonde singer had attended the NBA Finals earlier in the night and was wearing a Cleveland Cavaliers shirt.

It is not known what instigated the quarrel, but witnesses told TMZ that fans had been asking to meet and take pictures with him – requests that make him feel “depressed” and “like a zoo animal”.

“It has gotten to the point that people won’t even say hi to me or recognise me as a human, I feel like a zoo animal, and I wanna be able to keep my sanity. I realise people will be disappointed but I don’t owe anybody a picture,” he told fans in an Instagram message in May.

Shortly after the video surfaced, he shared two defiant, topless Instagram selfies with his 70.9 million followers showing he was unscathed in the attack.

“Not a scratch on this pretty boy”, he captioned one, which he has since deleted.

In five hours, the second black and white pictured has garnered 1.1 million likes from relieved Beliebers, who can now rest assured that their dear leader will live to fight another day.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Big-Brother Pizza: Domino’s to Track Customers on Way to Stores

Creepy? Your pizza will be fresh and hot as you arrive, the company says. Photo: Luis Ascui “Time is the enemy of food”: Domino’s chief Don Meij. Photo: Jorge Branco
Nanjing Night Net

High tech ambitions: Dominoe’s introduced a pizza delivery droid earlier this year.

Checking the progress online of your takeaway pizza is so 2006. Now you’re being tracked, too.

From next week, Domino’s Pizza will start using satellites to follow customers as they approach stores to pick up orders. By tracking pizza-lovers on the street, Domino’s can wait until the last moment to start cooking and ensure orders stay fresh, the company said.

The fast-food surveillance comes a decade after the pizza chain started to let customers track their own orders. The stock has soared more than 17-fold in 10 years, giving Domino’s a market value of $6 billion. The company is also testing delivery robots and high-speed ovens.

“Time is the enemy of food,” Domino’s CEO Don Meij said on Thursday at a news conference to announce the company’s latest technology projects. “The longer it sits on the rack, the lower the quality of that pizza.”

Meij started his three-decade career at Domino’s as a delivery driver.

From Monday on, customers who use their smartphones to order pick-up pizzas can choose to be followed by Domino’s tracking system. They can also specify whether they’re coming on foot, on bike or by car. Cooking starts when the map shows customers are within range, the company said.

Customers are only tracked for the duration of the order and aren’t followed for any other purpose, Chief Digital Officer Michael Gillespie said.

Domino’s Pizza Enterprises, which is based in Brisbane, is the biggest franchisee outside the US for the takeaway brand owned by Domino’s Pizza. In addition to outlets in Australia and New Zealand, it also operates chains in Japan and some European nations.

Bloomberg

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Ben Cousins needed rehab not Richmond, Tim Watson says

Ben Cousins after his final AFL game in 2010. Photo: Joe Armao Tim Watson thinks Richmond erred in recruiting Cousins. Photo: Angela Wylie
Nanjing Night Net

Terry Wallace thought a club environment was best for the former Eagle.

Former Essendon champion Tim Watson has criticised Richmond’s decision to controversially draft Ben Cousins in 2009 after 12 months out of the game.

Terry Wallace, the Tigers coach at the time, said on The Footy Show on Thursday the club recruited the wayward former Eagle partly due to the belief that being in a football club environment would help him.

But Channel Seven commentator Watson said the club’s strategy to help Cousins’ wellbeing was misplaced because what he really needed at the time was proper medical attention in a drug rehabilitation centre.

“If there was that much concern about Ben, and obviously there was about the fact that if he couldn’t be playing football then what was going to happen to him, he was in a position whereby he should have been getting medical help,” Watson said on SEN Breakfast radio.

“He should have been in a rehab centre. If we are talking about someone who is obviously addicted to whatever it might have been that he was addicted to, then it’s not the football club environment that someone needs to be in, it’s actually in a rehab centre getting medical attention.”

The former Essendon captain said the Tigers knew the risks of drafting the former Brownlow medallist to the club.

“I think they knew what they were taking. I think they had a fair idea of what they were taking on,” Watson said.

“If you go back to that time too, there was a lot of barracking from the outside in the football world that this bloke should be given an opportunity to go back and play his football.”

Wallace said the club sought advice from medical professionals prior to picking up Cousins in the 2009 AFL pre-season draft and that indicated a footy club environment might help Cousins rehabiliate.

“We spoke to the experts at the time and they told us it was a much better spot for him to be in the environment of a football club,” Wallace said.

“Perhaps the rigours of what footy meant to him might be able to turn him back and get him back on the straight and narrow.

“Better people were informing us, more medical brains than what we were, and suggesting that the best spot for him was around a footy club.

“We went through a raft of reasons why and why not we would pick him around our board table at one stage and obviously the empathy side was one of those… certainly it was a part of the jigsaw puzzle.

“He had been cut loose from the system for 12 months and he was in a far worse place by that happening to him.”

Wallace said Richmond had to make a decision on whether the club was obliged to give Cousins a chance in order to potentially save him from sliding deeper.

“We did sit back at a board meeting and said … if we decided not to give him the opportunity to get his footy together, which meant getting his life together, how would we feel if in eight or ten weeks we woke up one morning and all of a sudden there was a news bulletin and something horrific had happened.

“We believe he was in that stage where that possibly could have been the case.”

Wallace recalled a bizarre initial interview with Cousins prior to drafting him in 2009, where a Tigers delegation was ready to interview him but had to wait more than half an hour while he was in the toilet.

“You picked him up from the airport and [we went] out of the back door… we wanted to have a meeting where no one would sort of know where it was,” Wallace told The Footy Show.

“Ben came in, we did the introductions and Ben sort of said ‘I need to go to the toilet’.

“Five minutes passed, and 10 minutes passed, then 20 minutes passed. Twenty five minutes passed and 30 minutes passed and he hadn’t come out of the loo.

“I was starting to wonder what the heck was going on.

“That was back in the time when he had shaved his head. I’m not exactly sure what was going on.

“His movements were quite erratic at the time, clearly what it said to me was this was a young man in a very bad way.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Firefighters’ crisis: Premier moves to sack CFA board

Jane Garrett has been vehemently opposed to the government’s proposed deal with the firefighters union. Victoria’s Emergency Services Minister, Jane Garrett, has resigned from cabinet. Photo: Justin McManus
Nanjing Night Net

Premier Daniel Andrews said Jane Garrett has ‘indicated she refuses to support Cabinet proposals to end the long-running dispute over the CFA Enterprise Agreement’. Photo: Simon O’Dwyer

Voluntary and paid CFA members stand with Premier Daniel Andrews and new Emergency Services Minister James Merlino on Friday. Photo: Penny Stephens

Full statement by Minister James MerlinoAnalysis: Premier steamrolls his way over processWhy the board was sackedVictorian firefighter dispute: the burning questions

Victoria’s government has been rocked by the resignation of a second minister and the sacking of the CFA board, as the crisis over the bitter CFA pay dispute intensifies.

Once seen as a rising star, Jane Garrett quit as emergency services minister on Friday morning after refusing to back the Premier’s revised workplace deal for paid CFA firefighters.

Hours later, proceedings were commenced by the Andrews government to sack the CFA board, which had been in lock step with Ms Garrett over its opposition to the agreement.

The mass sackings came despite the Supreme Court granting an injunction sought by the volunteers’ association preventing any workplace agreement being signed before June 22.

Ms Garrett had vehemently opposed the deal, and backed the CFA and volunteers, who view the agreement as destructive to the role of volunteers, saying it hands too much control to the union and is not compatible with equal opportunity laws.

A revised deal includes special statements of intent to ease concerns of union control and equality opportunity – it does not, however, remove contentious clauses.

The deal delivers a 19 per cent pay rise over the next three years, and includes 5 per cent already backpaid.

Ms Garrett’s resignation has angered and disappointed many in government, who are despairing at the self-inflicted damage.

Many senior sources say that much effort was made to appease Ms Garrett’s concerns – others say the Premier is simply slamming through the process to get the result he wants.

Sign the deal or be sacked: Merlino

One of the first acts of the newly sworn-in minister, James Merlino, who is also Deputy Premier, was to issue an ultimatum to the defiant CFA board: sign the deal by 5pm Friday or be sacked.

But that deadline appeared to hit a snag when the Supreme Court granted an injunction to the volunteers’ association preventing any closure of the deal until June 22.

In a statement, the CFA said that it could not sign the agreement due to legal issues and 14 threshold issues that it could not agree to, including the clauses which give the union 50 vetoes over CFA’s legislated responsibilities.

“CFA will continue to work with the government and the (United Firefighters Union) to find a solution to the enterprise bargaining agreement, however it will not and cannot sign an agreement which is unlawful,” the statement said.

On Friday evening, Mr Merlino said the government was moving on the CFA board because of its refusal to sign the deal.

“The CFA board has indicated its refusal to support the agreement, I do not have confidence in the ability of the board to end a dispute that has gone on for far too long and to deliver the reform that Country Fire Authority needs to keep our community safe,” Mr Merlino said.

Following Ms Garrett’s resignation and the ultimatum issued to the board, the volunteers’ association sought a court injunction.

Serious question to be tried: Court

Supreme Court Justice Michael McDonald said he was “satisfied that there is a serious question to be tried” in regards to whether the volunteers had been adequately consulted on the agreement.

Justice McDonald said if the CFA voted on the agreement before 4.30pm on June 22, it risked imprisonment or sequestration of property.

The CFA must not “approve that [EBA] agreement by voting for it,” he said in an order.

Ms Garrett’s decision to resign ended a shambolic week for the Andrews government, which struggled to manage community and political anger over its deal with the union.

I leave with a heavy heart: Garrett

“It has been an extraordinary privilege to serve in my ministerial role, which I leave with a heavy heart,” Ms Garrett tweeted.

Ms Garrett, 43, who is also Labor National Vice-President, will continue to serve as the Member for Brunswick.

In a short statement, the Premier said that “despite all concerns previously raised by Ms Garrett being addressed, she has indicated she refuses to support”.

At a later press conference he wished her well.

Mr Andrews has been dogged by questions abut why he had backed Ms Garrett for so long in her fight against the union, but then switched to support a deal after meeting with union secretary Peter Marshall two months ago.

“I was not prepared, the cabinet was not prepared, no fair-minded Victorians would be prepared to continue to have this dispute drag on dangerously, in a bitter and spiteful distraction from the important work of fighting fire,” Mr Andrews said.

“I have a resolve, as does the new minister, as does the cabinet, to deliver reform … this dispute needs to come to an end today.”

Dysfunctional, chaotic government: Opposition

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy said Ms Garrett’s resignation proved that Mr Andrews was a “vengeful bully who is leading a dysfunctional, chaotic government”.

“His forced resignation of a female minister for daring to question his attack on the CFA and its 60,000 volunteers emphasises that he puts his own political safety ahead of the safety of Victorians,” Mr Guy said.

Over the weekend attention will turn to Ms Garrett’s replacement in cabinet and a factional fight looms with some agitating that the replacement should hail from the Right, not Ms Garrett’s Socialist Left because the group is already over-represented in the ministry.

Ms Garrett’s resignation follows former small business minister Adem Somyurek, who resigned in 2015.

With Josh Gordon

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.

Federal election 2016: Labor’s Pat O’Neill to remove military-themed billboards

Labor candidate for Brisbane Pat O’Neill will remove billboards depicting him in his army uniform. Photo: Supplied Labor candidate Pat O’Neill’s billboard, on St Paul’s Terrace, will be removed along by Saturday night. Photo: Bradley Kanaris
Nanjing Night Net

Brisbane’s Labor candidate will remove billboards depicting him in his army uniform following a directive from the Australian Defence Force to cease and desist.

But the candidate, Pat O’Neill, a former army major, said the rules surrounding the use of such images needed to be reviewed and he had a lot of sympathy for West Australian Liberal MP Andrew Hastie, who was sacked from the Standby Reserve for failing to comply with a similar request.

“I served with Andrew in Darwin and we’ve known each other for about a decade and even though our politics haven’t always been the same, I’ve always got on well with Andrew and I’ve got a lot of time and respect for him,” Mr O’Neill told Fairfax Media.

“I think it’s sad to see someone who’s dedicated the bulk of their working life to service in the army going through what he’s gone through.

“I had a conversation with Andrew and I let him know he’s got my support as a former colleague and a mate, but I want to focus on the issues that will affect the people in the electorate of Brisbane, and those are education funding, health funding and capacity building.”

Mr Hastie, who has been a parliamentarian since September last year following a byelection brought on by the death of the previous member, has refused to airbrush his military history from his campaign.

“I had to decide whose authority I answered to,” he told Perth radio 6PR on Thursday.

“After reviewing the constitution, I came down on the position it was the people of Canning.

“As a federal parliamentarian, I don’t take orders from the military.”

Mr O’Neill, who would remain a member of the Standby Reserve, said the policy needed to be looked at after the election as it had caused significant concerns for people who had dedicated their lives to service.

He said some clarity going forward “wouldn’t go astray”.

“On the same day news came out that Andrew had been removed from the standby reserve, Malcolm Turnbull was sitting on a naval helicopter,” Mr O’Neill said.

“I think we should celebrate people like Andrew Hastie’s service and what they’ve done and I think the Parliament should represent a broad spectrum of people from the community.

“And I think that’s what people like myself and Andrew can do for the Parliament.”

But for now, Mr O’Neill said he would comply with the ADF’s request and the three billboards in the electorate would be removed by Saturday night.

“I’ve spoken with Defence and a number of people about the issue and it was never the intent to cause any offence to anyone with the billboards,” he said.

“It was to tell a story about who I am, and who I am is someone who spent the past 18 years in the army – my entire life since I left school – but I didn’t leave that 18-year career to get caught up talking about billboards.

“I left that career to do some good and I left because I think this election’s extremely important and will shape the future, so rather than cause any more distractions from the important issues, we’re going to comply with the directives from Defence.”

Stay informed. Like the Brisbane Times Facebook page

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.